Sulfonic acid is one of the cheapest surfactants used in the detergent industry. Its Chemical formula is C6H7NO3S. It is a brown liquid in appearance. Sulfonic acid has two industrial and laboratory grades. Sulfonic acid is a group of organic sulfur compounds whose general formula is R S (= O) 2 -OH in which R represents an alkyl or aryl group. Its cadmium salt is used as anionic surfactant in most household detergents such as dishwashing liquids and washing powders.
Synonyms with sulfonic acid: sulfanilic acid, p-amino benzene sulfonic acid, p-aminophenyl sulfonic acid, 4-amino benzene sulfonic acid, aniline p-sulfonic acid, aniline 4-sulfonic acid, LABS.
Sulfonic Acid production:
Linear alkyl benzene sulfonation method is usually used to produce sulfonic acid. Its constituents are linear alkyl benzene, oxygen, sulfur, and citric acid
Applications and usages:
1. Alkyl benzene sulfonic acid is used as anionic surfactant in the formulation of many detergents.
2. This surfactant is one of the cheapest surfactants used in detergent industries and is the most important and widely used surfactant in powder and liquid detergent formulations.
3. This compound is used as a detergent, foaming agent and stain remover in most formulations of detergents.
4. These acids with the general formula HSO3R that R can be methane or benzene, etc., are water soluble, non-volatile and absorbent and are used as emulsifying agents, additives and are used as lubricating oils, corrosion and rust preventers.
5. In the paints used as a supplier of the sulfonyl group in the anthroquinone dyes.
6- In the pharmaceutical industry, sulfadic anti-bacterial substance is produced from sulfonic acid.
Storage place for sulfonic acid:
Store in cool, dry, ventilated containers.
Sulfonic acid waste:
Using a glove, scrape it and mix it with the neutralizer and then pack and dispose of it and wash the place after removing the scrap.
Safety tips Use of sulfonic acid:
Eye contact: In this case, it will cause severe irritation to the eye. Keep the eye open and rinse with warm water for 15 minutes.
Skin contact: In this case, it can irritate and irritate the skin, in which case one should remove the clothes and wash the contaminated area with soap and water and wash the clothes before re-use.
Breathing: If the vapors breathe, it will burn the respiratory system, transferring the injured person to open air and connecting the oxygen device if the breathing problem persists.
Gastrointestinal: In this case, the mouth of the injured person should be washed.